Monday, October 10, 2011

{This Week Has BeeN CrAZY!}

Hello fam!

This week we did divisions in my old area, La Cabima! I worked with a missionary named Elder Girón from Perú. It was a great experience. When we were walking on the streets there, I remembered something my MTC teacher, brother Crapo, said about how the streets that we walk on in the mission will be sacred to us. I saw investigators that I had taught, people on the street that I recognized, and I saw a lot of the members. We got there tuesday in the morning to a funeral that we didn´t know about. A little girl (the niece of one of our recent converts) had passed away the week before. She was only five years old. A really cute girl named Molly that I remember playing with when we visited that members house. It was pretty sad.

After that we went to work. One of the best experiences I had there was seeing a lady that we had taught there. Her name is Mary Canto, her son is Anel. Her husband had passed away while I was serving there so we had a reunion in her neighbor´s house to share a message. We also gave her a blessing of comfort. Turns out that about a month ago she got baptized! And her 17 year old son, Anel, is now preparing to serve a mission (when I was there, he was about to graduate from the catechesis for his first communion in the Catholic Church). She gave us dinner and told me about the blessing that we had given her. She said that since that time she had felt much more peaceful and now she seems SO much happier than when I last saw her! It was a miracle to me to see the change that has occurred in her life. She´s a great person.

I also saw Juan Carlos Estrada (another convert from La Cabima) on saturday in his work. He works in our area in a security systems place. He seems to be struggling a bit because he is working so much, but I was so happy to see him. I hope he can get things straightened out to be able to go to church.

I was working on saturday with Elder Jarquín, from Nicaragua. This is his first change as a zone leader and he´s doing a great job. I learned a lot from him and we had a good experience getting SOAKED in a huge rainstorm. Haha on sunday all of the missionaries went to church with wet shoes! That night we taught Janet again. She´s amazing! We taught the law of chastity and the word of wisdom. She really understood that we must obey these laws out of love for God, not just because they are "rules". She is going to be a great member in the church...God has prepared her for it! This Sunday she and Olinda will both be getting baptized. I´m really excited for them. The members have been making them feel really welcome in the church. Our ward is really great!

This week has been so crazy! We´ve had stuff to do day and night here...but I am really enjoying it. I am trying to focus on the most important things here in the mission. I am really excited for these next few weeks! I know that there are lots of good experiences waiting for me. One thing that we are doing this change is interviewing a bunch of recent converts about their conversion and making a short movie for the mission...we are going to interview Janet the day of her baptism! I think that will be a spiritual moment for her.

Well family, I love you all! Thank you for all the love!

Elder Henrie


Mom!

6:49 pm eh? haha it still doesn´t really feel like the mission is coming to a close. I feel like I am just going to have changes again and go to a different area. New companion, new people, new ward, etc. Lately I´ve been thinking about my priorities...ever since Elder Ian Ardern gave his talk about Time in this life, it´s made me think about the importance of getting priorities set. Thinking about it, the top priority is simply living the Gospel, after that all the other priorities just fall into place, seeing as how everything else that is important in life really just has to do with living God´s plan to the fullest. One of the scriptures that I liked most this week is in Nefi 5. Nefi and his people, after building a temple, being industrious, and working with their hands, are described as living "after the manner of happiness." (2 Nefi 5:27) It is such a simple scripture but it describes the result of understanding and living God´s laws.

That´s really the path that I want to follow for the rest of my life. I know it´s going to be tough, but I´ve been sweating and walking in the rain for 23 months, so I think I can do it :)

I love you mom! Thanks for taking care of our family!

I love you,
Elder Henrie

No comments:

Post a Comment